griffin-hayes

This home at 1517 West Okmulgee was built by William and Josephine Delehanty around 1920 on land originally part of a Creek Indian allotment to Judge John and Jessie Thomas in 1899. In 1924, John T. and Ada Toole Griffin bought this house which belonged to their family until his death in 1944. The Griffin estate then sold the property to A. W. and Grace Hays in 1948 and remained as such until the death of Mrs. Hays in 1988. Mr. Griffin and his brother Charles Griffin formed the Griffin Grocery Company in 1908 and moved its headquarters to Muskogee in 1924. The business then became one of the leading wholesale grocery firms in this area. Originally from Arkansas, Mr. and Mrs. Hays came to Muskogee from Gore, Oklahoma in 1929 from which point they owned and operated several mercantile stores in Oklahoma and Arkansas. In Muskogee they may be remembered for the operation of Modern Clothiers. Both the Griffins and the Hayes families contributed to the community through their generous and enterprising activities.

Historic Homes of Muskogee Home